Tuesday, April 24, 2012

I'm Back!

It seems like forever since I've blogged. There is so much I could blog about but I have not set aside the time to do it. Since my last blog I've spent part of spring break in Florida and the other part in Hull, Massachusetts; I chaperoned a 4 day middle school field trip to Philadelphia; I taught at MQX in Providence RI; and I've been creating lots of pieces for the Hull Artists Studio Tours. Oh and I got this cool new head shot taken by Stephen Gore at Nantaskart Gallery!
Nice huh!

In honor of Earth Day I'll share some nature inspired pieces. The first is Staccato Sunrise. This piece measures 37" x 35" and is inspired by the sunrises at Nantasket Beach. The sun is a mariners compass that I segmented to create motion. The sky, grass and beach are improvisationally pieced. The quilt has detailed Zentangle (r) inspired free motion quilting on it and beading.

Next is my tree series pieces 1 - 6. Each piece measures 3 1/2" square. They are pen and ink Zentangle (r) inspired pieces. I entered the first one in the Diva Challenge see more about that click here.





If you'd like to learn more about Zentangle (r) visit my website www.elainehuffman.com.

12 comments:

  1. Your trees are fantastic! I really love the first one. Great interpretation of the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the trees, they're beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are absolutely fabulous! I love how you've created this series that combines drawing and tangling. So fun to look at and compare.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is a rich post! Love the new head shot. The one I got of you at the gathering of CZTs at your house looked very pensive... I believe you had the gorgeous "Staccato Sunrise" hanging in your foyer? If I'm wrong, just ignore that... :)
    Your tree series really sparks my interest. Years ago, Issue #4 of my art 'zine "Ink & Ruminations" was all about trees. It was my most popular issue. Everyone seemed to have heartfelt stories and artwork on the subject. I had no idea how deeply so many people feel about trees. Yours are beautiful and you show how well-suited tree art is for combining with Zentangle--kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love the trees also - and the flow of the tiles as well. Nice job, Elaine. Great head shot too, pretty girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The trees are amazing, what a beautiful selection of tiles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like all of the different ways you thought of to draw your tree tiles. They're so much fun to look at! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I clicked to enlarge the quilt square so that I could see al the stitching. It is wonderful! I love your tree series, especially the ones with a cathedral window look to them. My favorite is the tree with the "moons". I am partial to the moon as well as trees.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful quilt square! The trees are gorgeous...very fitting for Earth Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The use of trees is perfect for your tiles. They are beautifully incorporated into you designs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your tree series, these are so different and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. All of these are beautiful. I love the idea of the trees sandwiched between tangles. I am looking forward to seeing more of your work.

    ReplyDelete